It’s easy to find a cheap .com domain for a year, at the cost of high recurring fees for the following years. This is a simple business strategy to lure in customers and make them pay more in the long term. But we can take advantage of these cheap, low-cost registrars to optimise the cost of domains. This is an easy how to guide on buying domains for several years, for as cheap as possible!
We can roughly classify domain registrars into three groups:
Low cost registrars
- cheap first year
- expensive renewal fees
- additional costs
- same inexpensive price for every year of registration
- free private whois & other benefits
- expensive registration fees with added benefits
Great thing about domains is, that we can transfer them between different registrars as many times as we want. And when you transfer a domain, the time left on the previous registrar will be carried over to the new one. With one restriction however. According to the ICANN domain transfer policy:
The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:
A domain name is in the first 60 days of an initial registration period.
We can use this to our advantage in first buying the domain from a low-cost registrar and moving it to an inexpensive registrar after the first 2 months.
Please note that it is important to:
1. register your domain for several years in order to boost your trust rank within search engines, such as Google
2. register your domain name as soon as possible to gain domain age, which will also have a positive effect on search engine rankings
Step 1: Grab a Low-cost Domain
My favourite registrar: Godaddy
- click on the link above, and grab a .com domain for $1.99, or you may use their discount coupon code cjc199 until 5th of November 2014
- wait for 60 days, during which you may use the domain normally
Step 2: Transfer Domain to Inexpensive Registrar
My favourite registrar: Namesilo
- with years of experience of numerous domain registrars, namesilo is my absolute favourite of all the inexpensive registrars out there
- pricing is fixed at $8.99 for .com domains and $8.39 for newly transferred domains
- no hidden costs, free private whois and everything one could hope from a domain registrar (unlike Godaddy)
- for first time customers, use the coupon smartdom1 to get a dollar off.
— Voilà! You have a two year registration for less than $10